The Intercultural Mediation Programme is the result of the collaboration between the Fundación Salud y Família and CatSalut. This department aims at:
- Facilitating linguistic and cultural understanding between patients and/or family members and medical personnel.
- Helping patients to adapt and understand medical treatments.
- Helping to improve hospital operations, avoiding unnecessary visits caused by communication problems.
- Providing patients the necessary resources to better integrate and understand the host society.
- Facilitating access to cultural networks of their own community that facilitate both healthcare and geriatric care.
The intercultural mediation department can be found both at the Hospital Clínic and at the Maternity site, and includes both medical and nursing personnel.
Intercultural Mediation at the Hospital Clínic
At the Villarroel location there are Arabic and Romanian liaison staff, who are assigned to the Customer Service Unit (Clinical Quality and Safety Department) and who can be reached Monday to Friday, at different times (see contact information).
Intercultural Mediation at the Maternity site
At the Maternity site there are Arabic and Chinese liaison staff who are assigned to the Customer Service Unit (Clinical Quality and Safety Department) and who can be reached Monday to Friday, at different times (see contact information). At this location the services offered are aimed at supporting the needs arising from the Maternal/Foetal Medicine and Neonatology departments of the Clinical Institute of Gynaecology, Obstetrics and Neonatology (ICGON). The Romanian liaison staff also provide support at this location.
Currently, the programme includes three liaison staff. Liaison staff may also be available for women from Latin American countries who, even though they have no language barriers, face cultural differences that sometimes hinder communication with medical personnel.